1004 N State St.
"Moore- Hutson House", c. 1875, remodeled 1917
Elizabethan - Prairie School
This house was originally built in 1875 for Henry Van Moore and his wife, Alzina Moore, as a Queen Anne style but then remodeled substantially by their son Dwight Moore in 1917 to the Elezabethan-Prairie School style. Henry and Alzina Moore moved to Monticello in 1870 where Henry, along with Robert Houston, founded the first bank in Piatt County, first under the name of Robert Houston & Co. Preston C. Houston took over his father's interest in the bank and he and Moore were later joined by A.J. Dighton, at which time the name was changed to Houston, Moore & Dighton. Upon Dighton's death in 1877, Moore purchased Houston's interests and changed the name of the bank to H.V. Moore Banking and Trust Company. Later, W.H. Plunk became a partner, but the firm's name remained the same. Eventually the bank's name was changed to the Moore State Bank of Monticello. Dwight Moore succeeded his father as president of the bank and lived in this house until his retirement in 1927, at which time he and Sebina moved to California. In the numerous family connections along this street, Sebina was the daughter of James and Elizabeth Vent, who resided at 916 North State. After sitting empty for several years, the house was purchased by N.E. "Gene" Hutson in 1933. Gene Hutson served as Monticello's City Attorney for several years. The house remains in the Hutson family.
This house features the Prairie Style; irregular shape, two and a half story, with an eclectic mix of brick, stone, wood, clapboard and stucco walls, gable and hip roofs, and a variety of window types. The half-timbering, window patterns, and gable pendants, rafter tail and brackets are with flared brick porch piers with decorative stone panels as caps and a full entablature with wood brackets at the piers. Continuing above the porch roof line, the piers act as pedestals with stone plaques, decorative caps and urns. Corinthian pilasters flank the entry door and sidelights. The sunroom on the south elevation, with features similar to the main home, was added in 2003.
The one and a half story two car garage outbuilding (c. 1996) is non-contributing to the historic district.