Although this house was built in 1898 by William Dighton for his widowed mother, Sarah Dighton, she was successful in her own right, managing to build the Dighton Block in downtown Monticello. The house was later enlarged to the size you see today. This house features the Dutch Colonial Revival; irregular shape, two and a half story, with clapboard and wood shingle siding, and truncated hip and gambrel roof. The porch has turned balustrade, Doric columns, full entablature with dentils, modillioned cornice, and a turned balustrade with pedestals lining the roof. A shallow projecting gambrel pavilion has a round window in the gambrel apex surrounded by an applied decoration including a wood round arch with exaggerated keystone. There are a variety of window styles and groupings. The multi-window sunroom also has a turned wood balustrade at its roof line.
The property has two outbuildings that are contributing to the historic district - a two-car garage (c. 1920) with clapboard siding and hip roof with rafter tails; and a small storage building (c. 1910) with clapboard siding and side gable roof.