"Bradford Van Rensselaer and Jane Harris Moore House," 1924
Designed by architect James Roy Allen of Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, this mansion was built by contractors Hagerman & Harshman of Sullivan, Illinois in 1924 for Bradford Van Rensselaer Moore and his wife, Jane Harris Moore, on a substantial secluded lot, set far back from the street and next door to Bradford's parents. Bradford was president of Moore State Bank of Monticello, and was the owner of Camp Creek Duck Farm. Bradford's grandfather, Henry Moore, established the bank and his father established the duck farm, which sold and shipped live and dressed ducks all over the world. Bradford was the son of Allen F. Moore and Madora Bradford Moore, who had previously lived at 412 North State Street prior to building their own mansion at 1005 North State Street. Formal flower gardens, maze gardens, reflecting pools, fountains, a 2,000 square foot green house, carriage house and privately owned golf course were shared between the two mansions. Through donations from the estates of John and Mary Kirby, the Allen F. Moore home and grounds at 1005 North State Street were purchased in 1939 and the home remodeled by contractors Hagerman & Hagerman to become the original quarters of the John & Mary Kirby Hospital in 1941. That building was demolished when the current facility was constructed in 1974 on the same site. Remnants of the prior house include the brick entrance piers which frame the driveway and part of the solid brick fence.
This house features the Tudor Revival style: angled "U" shape, two and a half story, when brick and stucco half-timbered walls, and multi-gable roof. The center entry is deeply recessed with a stone round arch architrave. A two-car, one and a half story garage attached by a narrow wing angles off the south elevation.
This is a twenty-four room mansion with ornately sculpted ceilings and imported Italian marble fireplaces that was reportedly built at a cost of $150,000.