Official Job Description
Department: Public Works
Status: Full Time; Non-Exempt
Under general supervision, performs a variety of maintenance work, and operates a variety of equipment in the construction, operation, repair, maintenance, and replacement of municipal water, sewer, streets, lighting, storm drainage facilities, and other appurtenances found within the public right of way or public property. The ability to assist with all phases of Public Works operations to include but not limited to the following: water treatment plant and water distribution system, waste water treatment plant and waste water collection system including sanitary sewer lift stations and appurtenances, drainage maintenance, maintenance and repair at the Monticello Family Aquatic Center and other recreational facilities, street and sidewalk maintenance and repair, winter weather operations, and any other duties of the Public Works Department, as assigned.
This position works under the direct supervision of the Public Works Director and ultimately reports to the City Administrator.
The list of tasks is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by this position.
- Drives trucks of various size and weights in the loading, hauling and unloading of various equipment, gravel, sand, soil and other material.
- Operates construction and power equipment, such as but not limited to, snow and ice clearing equipment, mowers, weed eaters, chainsaws, concrete saws, drills, and other necessary equipment.
- Performs required labor involved in construction and maintenance projects as part of a crew, including concrete curb, curb and gutter, street and sidewalk pavement cutting, removal, and replacement, requiring shoveling, raking, leveling, and finishing concrete, and other concrete or hot mix asphalt work as needed.
- Performs required labor involved in construction and maintenance projects as part of a crew, including ditch digging, culvert and storm sewer cleaning, repairing, and installation.
- Performs required labor involved in construction and maintenance projects as part of a crew, including cleaning, televising, repairing, and installing sewer pipe, manholes, and other appurtenances of the sanitary sewer collection system.
- Performs required labor involved in construction and maintenance projects as part of a crew, including repairing and installing watermains, service lines, valves, fire hydrants, meters, and other appurtenances of the water distribution system.
- Uses safety equipment, including PPE, where required and safely operates all City equipment.
- Follows all safety procedures to include but not limited to Lock Out-Tag Out procedures. Safety shoes are required at all times.
- Reports any safety hazards to the Director of Public Works, immediately.
- Performs other duties as assigned, to include emergency and weekend duties.
- High school diploma and a minimum of 3 years of experience in a public works related field meeting or exceeding the essential functions described herein.
- Must have a valid Illinois driver’s license with CDL-Class B, and Air Brake endorsement, or ability to obtain CDL-Class B, and Air Brake endorsement within six months of hire date.
- Must be willing to live within a twelve (12) mile radius of City Hall.
- Must have good customer service skills dealing with the public.
- Working knowledge of equipment, facilities, materials, methods and procedures used in maintenance, construction and repair activities of City owned and operated assets.
- Working knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions common to municipal maintenance and repair activities.
- Skill in operation of listed tools and equipment.
- Ability to perform heavy manual tasks for extended periods of time: ability to work safely; ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other departments, and the public; ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
- Reading Comprehension- Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening- Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Time Management- Managing one’s own time and the time of others.
- Writing- Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Speaking- Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Instructing- Teaching others how to do something; helping others to understand something.
- Negotiation- Bring others together in an attempt to reconcile differences.
- Critical thinking- Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Judgement and Decision Making- Considering the advantages and disadvantages of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Social Perceptiveness- Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Oral Comprehension- The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken word.
- Oral Expression- The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Written Expression- The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
- Deductive Reasoning- The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Problem Sensitivity- The ability to recognize when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong.
- Number Facility- The ability to add, subtract, multiply or divide quickly and correctly.
- Visualization- The ability to imagine how something will look after it is moved around or when its parts are moved or rearranged.
- Depth Perception- The ability to judge which of several objects is closer or farther away from you, or to judge the distance between you and an object.
- Near Vision- The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Far Vision- The ability to see details at a distance.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED:
The equipment and tools may consist of power and hand tools, motorized vehicles and equipment, including dump truck, pickup truck, utility truck, street sweeper, jet truck, street roller, plate compactor, saws, pumps, compressors, generators, common hand and power tools, shovels, wrenches, mobile and portable radio, personal computer, calculator, and phone. The list of tools and equipment is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all tools and equipment used to perform the duties of this position
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to use hand to finger, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, and to smell. The employee is occasionally required to walk, sit and talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift weights up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required of this position include close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus. A baseline physicality test administered by an occupational health professional, at the discretion and at the expense of the City of Monticello, is required as a condition of employment with the City of Monticello.
The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts or in outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes, toxic or caustic chemicals.
- The noise level in the work environment is moderately noisy.
- Must report any accidents to the Director of Public Works immediately and to the Finance and Human Resources Director within 24 hours of accident and shall assist in filling out any necessary paperwork.
- Working hours shall be from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday or as needed. Offices located at 305 Railroad Street, Monticello, Illinois
- Moderate exposure to stress as a result of human behavior.
The position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the City and the employee and is subject to change as the needs of the City and the requirements of the job change.
Examples of duties listed in the position description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similarly related or a logical assignment to the position.
Each employee’s position description is maintained as part of his/her personnel file. Additional copies of position descriptions may be requested through the Department Head.