Official Job Description
Title: Beatification Lead
Department: Public Works
Status: Part Time; Non-Exempt
Interested persons may apply by following the link below, or complete an application at the Monticello Municipal Building.
Works cooperatively with Public Works personnel and the Administrative Staff in order to maintain the upkeep of the park and garden areas throughout town, and as assigned in an efficient and economical manner. Also, the employee does minor landscape work with said parks and garden areas.
This position works under the direct supervision of the Public Works Director and ultimately reports to the City Administrator.
The list of tasks is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by this position.
1. Ensures the proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is being used at all times.
2. Reports any safety hazards to supervisor or safety officer, immediately.
3. Ensures that all work is done in a safe manner. Reports any accidents to direct supervisor and the Human Resources director at 210 N. Hamilton
Street within 24 hours of accident and assists in filling out any necessary paperwork.
4. Tends to all gardens, planting areas and down town trees, to include watering and weeding.
5. Ensures that all garden and planting area waste is disposed of in the proper manner.
6. Picks up and disposes of trash and debris in and around the downtown and garden areas.
7. Procures all of the necessary supplies to perform the duties of the beautification department as assigned.
8. Fills out a purchase order for any purchase regardless of the costs and sees that it is signed prior to purchase by Public Works Director.
9. Turns in all packing slips, invoices, etc. connected with purchases to the Public Works Director at 303 Railroad Street, Monticello, Illinois on a
10. Conducts interviews with the assistance of the Public Works director for seasonal workers.
11. Trains seasonal workers to assist with the departmental responsibilities.
12. Schedules seasonal workers to complete the departmental responsibilities.
13. Assists with developing the departmental budget and ensures that the budget is maintained.
14. Assists with the Christmas decorations as assigned.
15. Assists with other duties, as assigned.
1. Must have and maintain a valid Illinois driver’s license.
1. Thorough knowledge of annual, biennial and perennial plants.
2. Thorough knowledge of planting considerations.
3. Thorough knowledge of growing conditions, including soil type, drainage, organic matter, PH, fertility, and etcetera.
4. Thorough knowledge of plant general care including watering, mulching, deadheading, pinching, disbudding, staking, and etcetera.
5. Thorough knowledge of insects and pest control.
1. Reading Comprehension- Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
2. Active Listening- Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as
appropriate and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
3. Time Management- Managing one’s own time and the time of others.
4. Writing- Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
5. Speaking- Talking to others to convey information effectively.
6. Instructing- Teaching others how to do something; helping others to understand something.
7. Negotiation- Bring others together in an attempt to reconcile differences.
8. Critical thinking- Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to
9. Judgment and Decision Making- Considering the advantages and disadvantages of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
10. Social Perceptiveness- Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
1. Oral Comprehension- The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken word.
2. Oral Expression- The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
3. Written Expression- The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
4. Deductive Reasoning- The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
5. Problem Sensitivity- The ability to recognize when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong.
6. Number Facility- The ability to add, subtract, multiply or divide quickly and correctly.
7. Visualization- The ability to imagine how something will look after it is moved around or when its parts are moved or rearranged.
8. Depth Perception- The ability to judge which of several objects is closer or farther away from you, or to judge the distance between you and an
9. Near Vision- The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
10. Far Vision- The ability to see details at a distance.
1. Working hours and days will vary. Normal hours shall be from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday but could also include weekends
or as needed. Offices located at 210 N. Hamilton Street, Monticello, Illinois.
2. Moderate physical activity; may require stooping, bending, and infrequent lifting of light weights over 25 pounds.
3. Work is predominately out doors and in all types of weather conditions including, but not necessarily limited to: cold, rain, wind, excessive
heat, humidity and sun light.
4. Moderate exposure to stress as a result of human behavior.